March 03, 2014

Perking Up Your Home Permanently

So here's a secret that I'm not really ashamed of - I have a lot of silk flowers in my house. It's not that I don't love real flowers - oh, I do. It's that I have two cats who think that anything and everything is fair game to be eaten. Pool noodles, wicker baskets, spiral bound books, any meal of mine and yes that includes plants. 

All types of plants. So no, I can't have real flowers in my house because 1, they would be eaten in less than 4 hours and 2, lots of plants are toxic  to cats and I can't keep straight which ones. So silk it is! 

Silk plants are a little bit more expensive at the onset, but in the long run, they are a major cost saver and mood booster.  You're not replacing flowers every week, there are not little bugs that come in on them, and the water never starts to stink when you forget to change them out. 

These is the silk bouquet I keep beside my kitchen.

I get my silk flowers at Chintz & Co, because they are some of the most beautiful and highest quality I have ever found. We're not talking about the ones you find at Michaels with spare threads flying around. I have lots of guests who can't tell the difference between my silks and the real mccoys. 




The other reason I love silk flowers is that they are in bloom all year round. There's no seasons. If you have a favourite flower, you can enjoy it all year long.  And it's not just flowers I buy - check out this little desert display I put together. Infact - call me CRAZY - I would even buy a few of these faux blooms, pop them in a glass vase and call it a terrarium.



What's also nice about silks is if/when you get tired of your arrangement, you can either mix it up by buying one or two new types / colours of blooms or if you have a second silk arrangement, just mix up some of the flowers. 

So quit bashing silk flowers! And for the final act, enjoy this photo of a calla lily that one of my cats ate...